Joy

Joy
~ So I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned to the One who gave it all ~

Friday, December 19, 2014

I'm Naked & Exposed - Genesis 3:9-11

But the Lord God called to the man and said to him, “Where are you?” And he said, “I heard the sound of you in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.” He said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten of the tree of which I commanded you not to eat?” 
Genesis 3:9-11 (ESV)

As some of you may have noticed, I post a blog weekly about what I am learning on my journey here. Blogging is a part of our homework in the Potter's Field program. We are expected to journal on a bible verse that has spoken to us in our daily devotions or through something that really impacted us in our time here. Generally, I really enjoy blogging. I like to reflect on what God has been doing in my life throughout my time here and share it with those who want to read it. It's always my prayer that what I am going through and what God is showing me can encourage others around me.
But this morning was different. This morning I felt naked and exposed from all of my past blog posts. I felt like I have shared a lot of difficult and personal things lately. I was troubled with thoughts of what people who are reading my blogs think. Are they theologically sound? Do they sound self-righteous? Does my writing make sense? Do people think I'm crazy? I have been staring at a blank screen for an hour with no idea what to write about. Honestly, I didn't even want to go to God in prayer about it because I felt so defeated. I wanted to skip this week. The enemy had me cornered and I was listening to every word he was saying.
Thankfully, I have a loving Father that came to my rescue even though I didn't ask for it. He reminded me of the Fall in the Garden when Adam and Eve realized they were naked for the first time. After reading and meditating on this verse, I understood why he brought this to my mind. . . I am a sinner and I am naked and exposed just like Adam and Eve were. When I write these blogs my sin is out there for everyone to see. You can see my pride, my selfishness, my insecurities, etc. BUT DESPITE THIS, GOD STILL COMES LOOKING FOR ME. He knows I am in a huddled mess at my breakfast table embarrassed and exposed by my sin but he still comes and tells me:

We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. Yet God freely and graciously declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins. 
Romans 3:22-24 (NLT)

Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us. Romans 8:33-34 (NLT)

I'm a sinner. You can see that without reading my blogs. Sometimes it is hard and embarrassing to admit. Sometimes it's difficult to be frank and honest about it. Sometimes I want to hide just like Adam and Eve did. But God calls us to share our sins with others so they can pray for us so I will keep writing. My sin is repulsive to God BUT he sent his only son, Jesus Christ to cover it and make me white as snow. He hides his face from my sins, and blots out all my iniquities (Psalm 51:9). I'm writing this morning to remind myself of this. . .and you too if you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment